Sunday, July 15, 2018

"Soul food, just not YOUR soul"

We found a new favorite show, Somebody Feed Phil. Phil was the producer of Everybody Loves Raymond. He travels the world - eating food! What a job, right?!  I think what we love is the connection he has with the people!  He was with this guy and the guy says "what's this place?"  Phil says "Soul food, just not your soul".  Haha  Phil has Jewish heritage so his comfort food was quite different than the gentleman who was with him.

Last night, Team Thomas (ALL FOUR OF US!!!!! did a momma's heart so good!!!!) sat down to a table full of "soul food".  What our family calls comfort food! You know the type where your fork is halfway to your mouth by the time you hear the word "Amen"?  We had 2 Peruvian dishes - Papa A La Huancaina and Arroz Con Pollo. Here's where the miracle comes in.  At one point during the meal a man-child proclaims "mom, I think you did it!!!!" 

Ya see... for 20 yrs I've tried to master Arroz con pollo. I'm not exaggerating! My sweet mother-in-love just throws it all in a pot and POOF - YUMMINESS!!!!!  Somehow my rice would be extremely mushy OR crunchy. There was no in between.  You can imagine my delight with that first bite; it was not crunchy OR mushy... JUST RIGHT!!!!   Now, I may never get it right again but we sure enjoyed this pot haha

Like most things in life, this just made me think.  Ya know how this food speaks to our soul??? We connect with it on a deep level! It brings the people and culture to the forefront of our mind and makes us smile!!!!!

That's how we should feel with God! His word, thinking about Him, remembering His love... we should connect on a deep level, we should EAT IT UP!!!!!!!  Soul food!!!!!!!!  Savoring every character trait He reveals to us!!!!

That is the kind of food all God's chill'ns have in common!!!!  It feeds our souls!!!!!! 

Then there's coffee......... but I digress because apparently there are SOME people who don't like coffee, I just don't get it...... :) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment