Sunday, November 14, 2010

I wanna bake something

Something about baking that is a stress reliever for me. NOT the cleaning part... the baking. That's why I had boys so I could "train" them to wash dishes :) There are so many life lessons in baking. I don't really think about them when I bake but now that I have a blog I have to come up with something to talk about and right now this is all I've got.
Take each ingredient and taste them separately, not so good huh. Micah is my taster, when he was younger he wanted to taste everything. It didn't matter if I told him it was yucky, he still wanted to try it. The cocoa smelled so good to him, in his mind there was NO way it would be bitter.

Life lesson ~ it takes a few yucky, bitter things to make a wonderful smelling, delicious tasting cake!

Now, is that cake just done immediately? I remember when I first got married I couldn't seem to bake to save my life. I told my mom one time "I have no clue what I'm doing, I do the same thing you do, I follow the recipe exactly, I don't get it". She said "You're in to much of a hurry, you just want to get it done, slow down"

Life lesson ~ the good stuff is worth waiting on.

What happens when you wait on something that smells SO good and it turns out to be terrible? Not that I've done this... well, ok, maybe once. My in-laws were driving in from Florida last year and I was going to be the good daughter-in-law and have a fresh baked cake for them. It turned out terrible. It literally fell apart. I lovingly named it my earthquake cake. I learned NOT to bang on the pans when the cake sticks like glue to the pan. They ate it anyway... actually with a spoon :) We made a pot of coffee and enjoyed each other's company.

Life lesson ~ Things don't always turn out like you plan. Sometimes they fall apart. Learn what you can, grab a spoon and some coffee, it's all good :)

1 comments:

Beads and Books (Tammi Mossman) said...

LOL at banging on the pans; I'll bet you talked to them while you were banging.

Post a Comment