Monday, April 25, 2011

it's not JUST a wedding ring


So many times people have told me, "I really like your wedding ring". Wedding rings are so special. They symbolize so much. Each couple has a story of how they picked their wedding ring, why they picked that particular one. How that ring was given, things that were sacrificed to buy the ring... Sounds funny to say this is a God-given ring, but I truly believe it is and I'm thankful for it. Makes me smile :) When we got engaged, May 1st 1993, I really wanted my mom's wedding band. I had played with that all my life and dreamed one day I would wear it. Jeffrey wanted to buy me one of course so we settled on getting a guard to go around it. I just wasn't happy with the one we were paying on so we decided against it. We stuck with my parents old bands and I LOVED them! We just decided that one day when we are able we will buy bands of our own. We had been married 2 1/2 years when we had Micah and Jeffrey's band was wearing thin and beginning to cut him. I made the mistake of trying to put on my wedding rings when Micah was 2 weeks old and they got stuck. We had to have them cut off :( At that time I began to look for rings that fit both of our tastes. We wanted matching rings, not flashy, 2 tone. With all that there were not many options. I saw one in a magazine and LOVED it. We did not have the money so I cut out the picture and put it in my cedar chest. A few years later Jeffrey's ring had finally come to the end of it's life and we had a tax return we decided to buy rings with. The problem was, I couldn't remember where I got the picture from. I called a few places and finally found where it was, Alabama. The lady was a romantic apparently and just awed over my story of holding on to the pic. She gave us the sale price for the rings AND free shipping. When our rings came I was SO SUPER EXCITED!!! I would just stare at it, just made me smile. I went to a meeting and a lady commented on my ring "is that a James Avery?". At that point I had not heard of James Avery and told her no. She said "He designs jewelry with a Christian outlook" Hhhmmm I began to look at my ring and thought I would scream.... here's what I saw...

Ring ~ a symbol of unity.
Gold rings ~ there are 3 small gold rings. We are one through God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit
Diamonds ~ there are 7 diamonds. The number of perfection/completion.

I couldn't wait to get home and show Jeffrey! I was so excited. Every ring has a story... now you know ours :)

3 comments:

Anna LeBaron said...

So...are they James Avery? or not?

Joy Thomas said...

no, i had not even heard of James Avery. after that i went in to a James Avery store in Houston and saw why she would think they were....

Beads and Books (Tammi Mossman) said...

That's an awesome story. :o)

Kevin chose the emerald and then designed my wedding set. He has had two wedding rings thus far, the second one should last forever since it's titanium.

Post a Comment